Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum!

Yesterday at work, a little boy of about 5 came in with his mother and was expected to sit quietly while Amber colored the mother's hair for three hours or so. His name was Jackson. I took him to our little television set near the back of the salon, and showed him our overwhelming selection of videos; Aladdin, Anastasia, and Disney Sing-Along Songs on VHS. I figured the 'manliest' option was Aladdin, but he cried, "No, no, no, no, no." when I suggested we watch that one. "I want the disney one!" (meaning the sing-along tape) Okay. I put it in and rewound it to the beginning, because we were going to need every single one of those 20 musical minutes. With Jiminy Cricket (sp?) narrating, we couldn't go wrong. Jackson's favorite segments were "I wanna Be Like You" from the Jungle Book, and "Look Out for Mister Stork" from Dumbo. (you know, the one where the stork brings all the animal babies to the awaiting circus moms). We identified all of the animals, and I taught him what a stork is, and how it's job is to deliver new babies. He said, "Look! The giant elephant is waiting for her baby, Jumbo!" "Oh! here comes her ears!"(the part when Dumbo sneezes and his ears become huge).

I stayed with him for awhile, but left to watch the front of the salon after he seemed to be doing fine on his own. But a few minutes later one of the girls said, "Maranda. He's asking where the 'pink-shirt' went." I looked down to see I was wearing a very pink shirt that day. So I went back to him and upon seeing me he exclaimed, "Oh! There's my pink-shirt at!" I sat with him until my client came in, and I had to cut some hair. Ten minutes in to the haircut, he was asking for me again, but I didn't hear that part of the conversation. I guess when he asked for the "pink shirt" one of my co-workers pointed to a little girl who was wearing a pink shirt, and said "What about her? Her shirt is pink." To which he replied, "No, no, no, no, no. The GIANT pink shirt!" This part I heard. Giant. Hmmm. Okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment