Thursday, June 25, 2009


Two Latino boys came into the salon last night. They were probably around 14 years old, and were all spruced up and smelled suspiciously good. One of them asked if I would do them a huge favor, and let them use some hair gel. I paused to think about this. I've let people do this before, but it's not exactly smiled upon, because those products cost money and technically it's a 'service' we provide and would charge money for 'styling' someone's hair, etc. But I said okay, and asked them to wait there a second while I went around to my station to get the gel. They didn't know how to wait I guess, because they followed me around and 'hovered'; making me a bit uncomfortable. The one who asked for gel asked if I had any Tressemme gel or American Crew gel, but I told him, "No, I can only let you use Regis gel," and handed it to him. He asked a couple more times, thinking I was just holding out on him, not letting him use the good stuff, before I finally convinced him that all he was going to get out of me was Regis gel.

Geez... doesn't he know that when asking a favor of someone, it is extremely rude to be nit-picky?

Meanwhile, the other oafish looking one said he would rather use hairspray, so I got him some hairspray, and he then proceeded to fog up a goodly portion of the air we were breathing. As I wheezed, he turned to look directly at me and asked , "Why are you so pretty?"

"Uhhh. I don't know," was my reply.

I changed the subject quickly and asked them what they were getting all ready for. They said they were meeting their dates in Orem in a little while.
"You forgot to do your hair beforehand?" I asked.

"Yeah," replied the one with the gel, who was using copious amounts of it and had somehow found a comb and was using that too.

"What are you going to do on your date?" I asked, not sure if I wanted to know the answer, wondering if guys like this actually planned activities for dates or if 'date' was just another word for 'make out session'.

Luckily he said they would probably be watching a movie. Whew.

Then the oafish one told me I had beautiful hair. I said thank you quietly.
Then he asked me which one of them was prettier. Yes, he said prettier.
I asked if he meant 'more handsome', and he said, "sure... which one is more handsome?"

I told them they were both handsome boys. I didn't want to hurt the oafish one's feelings.

The one still combing gel through his hair then settled it by claiming he was way more handsome.

I love it when weirdo's come in to the salon. It really breaks up the monotony of the day.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed picturing all of this happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In retrospect I should have answered that I was so pretty because I take after Grandpa Miller. He's always trying to claim that one...

    ReplyDelete