Thursday, June 25, 2009

To My Skin a poem by Maranda Miller

They may stare
At your glare
When bared in the Sunday sun,

And unwillingly try
To disguise their despise
At your nonconformity with the bronzed ones.

But I'll be your protector,
I'll deflect what you cannot
Take.

It is both for yours and for my
Sake.

I'm sorry I had to take sides
And hand over our pride to
Masked men in scrubs wielding scalpels,

Who accessorized with sutures;
Frankensteined you out of season.
March is far from October.
But I'm sober now for our future.

These UV's sting and stun and age you.
I've let those B's and A's
Abuse you before.

But not anymore.

Mom sends me these; vitamins A, E and D's.
She sees through my lucidity and
Worries to a motherly degree
About my vampire tendencies.

But she best not fret,
I'll never forget again
To "apply generously."

No comments:

Post a Comment